‘We saw a weekend filled with bloodshed,’ says Stephane Dujarric
ANKARA (Anadolu) – At least 138 protesters, including women and children, have been killed in Myanmar since the Feb. 1 power seizure of military, the UN said Monday.
“This includes 38 people who were killed yesterday, the majority in the Hlaing Thayer area of Yangon, while 18 people were killed on Saturday,” said Stephane Dujarric, the spokesman of UN Secretary-General Antonio Guterres in his daily press briefing.
“We saw a weekend filled with bloodshed,” said Dujarric.
Guterres “strongly condemns this ongoing violence against peaceful protesters and the continuing violation of the most basic human rights of the people of Myanmar,” he continued.
Dujarric said the secretary-general reiterates his call on the international community to show solidarity with the people of Myanmar and their democratic aspirations.
Despite the growing brutality of the military junta, there has been no letup in demonstrations against the Feb. 1 coup across Myanmar.
More than 2,000 detained throughout the country so far.