No fans, less prize money, rustiness when tennis returns

AP – June 21, 2020

NEW YORK: Madison Keys, the 2017 US Open runner-up, has not played a real tennis match since January, so she was thrilled when a partial schedule was released for the sports true return after its novel coronavirus-forced hiatus.

“Halfway through the year, we’re [usually] doing all kind of thinking. Oh, I’d love some weeks at home. Been on the road for so long. Those pressure moments in matches are so stressful and all of that,” said Keys, one of 16 women in an exhibition event in Charleston, South Carolina, next week. “And now were all like, Please put me on a centre court, break-point down in the third, because I would love to have that feeling again.”

Now that there is a plan in place for top-level tennis to resume — starting in August in Italy, then Washington, with Grand Slam action to follow in New York, then Paris, assuming the Covid-19 outbreak allows — its time to consider ways in which the sport will look different.

There won’t be fans at the US Open or likely anywhere else at the outset. Players will be vying for decreased prize money, with as much as a 40 per cent cut at the biggest non-major tournaments. US Open matches on all but two courts will have a chair umpire aided by electronic line-calling, not line judges.

There surely will be rustiness for players after such long layoffs. Could be a string of athletes getting hurt, too if recent exhibitions are any indication.

“I don’t think many of us — outside of having an injury, maybe — have gone this long without that level of competition,” said Keys, an American currently ranked No. 13. “It’s really difficult to keep practicing when you don’t really have a goal in mind.”

There are remaining unknowns and adjustments could take place before anyone swings a racket at Flushing Meadows.

“For me, everything seems like it’s going to be different at the Open — and at all these tournaments. No fans. What’s the locker room situation? Where’s food? Transport? There are just so many questions. And it’s not going to be like any other year, any other tournament, that we’ve played before,” said Bethanie Mattek-Sands, who won nine women’s or mixed doubles Slam titles and, like Keys, is playing in Charleston.

The US Tennis Association was definitive about having closed doors, but the French Open and the two tours are leaving open the possibility of having at least some on-site spectators at some point this year.

The WTA is cutting prize money at its biggest events by 30 per cent if there are fans — and by 40 per cent if there aren’t. The ATPs Masters 1000s will have similar reductions. While the WTA will have smaller drops for lesser tournaments — down to 18 per cent for its bottom level — the ATPs percentage cuts will be higher the smaller the tournament.

“The loss of ticket sales, hospitality suites and more means the US Opens net income will be down roughly 80 per cent to $40 million,” USTA CEO Mike Dowse said, while adding player compensation is down nine per cent.

8 thoughts on “No fans, less prize money, rustiness when tennis returns

• July 13, 2020 at 10:52 pm

I would like to convey my gratitude for your kindness in support of women who absolutely need guidance on this study. Your very own dedication to passing the message along had become really practical and have frequently allowed girls much like me to attain their pursuits. The insightful advice entails a whole lot to me and additionally to my colleagues. Thanks a lot; from each one of us.

• July 20, 2020 at 3:50 pm

I simply wished to say thanks all over again. I do not know the things that I could possibly have tried without the type of points shared by you directly on such field. It truly was a horrifying condition for me, nevertheless discovering your specialised avenue you dealt with that forced me to cry for joy. I am just grateful for this service and then expect you really know what a great job that you’re putting in educating others through a site. I am certain you’ve never encountered all of us.

• July 23, 2020 at 11:25 pm

My wife and i got very delighted when Raymond managed to conclude his reports through your ideas he discovered when using the web page. It is now and again perplexing to simply happen to be giving freely tricks that many other people could have been making money from. So we know we need you to be grateful to because of that. These explanations you have made, the easy web site menu, the friendships you can help to foster – it is many unbelievable, and it is assisting our son and our family believe that that subject is excellent, which is truly serious. Thank you for all!

• July 27, 2020 at 1:58 am

I precisely desired to appreciate you again. I’m not certain the things I would’ve done without the actual opinions revealed by you directly on such topic. Completely was the difficult setting for me, nevertheless coming across this specialized mode you managed it took me to leap with happiness. Now i’m happier for this work and then believe you comprehend what an amazing job you are providing teaching most people thru your web site. I am sure you’ve never encountered all of us.

• July 30, 2020 at 12:00 am

I am just writing to let you be aware of of the fantastic experience my cousin’s daughter went through studying your site. She mastered a lot of issues, not to mention what it’s like to have a wonderful teaching mood to let many others without hassle grasp certain tortuous subject matter. You actually exceeded our expectations. I appreciate you for offering the precious, trusted, edifying and easy tips about that topic to Evelyn.

• August 1, 2020 at 10:46 pm

I want to convey my affection for your kindness in support of those people that need assistance with this area. Your personal dedication to getting the solution along appears to be unbelievably interesting and have surely allowed others just like me to arrive at their dreams. The useful facts entails so much to me and substantially more to my colleagues. Best wishes; from everyone of us.

• August 4, 2020 at 11:14 pm

Thank you so much for giving everyone such a superb chance to check tips from this blog. It is always so pleasing and also jam-packed with a great time for me personally and my office fellow workers to search your site at minimum thrice in 7 days to learn the latest stuff you have. Not to mention, I’m so always contented with your mind-boggling tactics you give. Certain 3 points on this page are certainly the most efficient we have all ever had.

• August 7, 2020 at 11:49 am

I happen to be commenting to make you be aware of what a helpful encounter my wife’s child enjoyed visiting your site. She mastered a lot of details, including how it is like to possess an amazing giving mood to let many more without difficulty understand various specialized matters. You truly surpassed our expectations. Many thanks for presenting the helpful, trusted, educational and in addition unique tips about the topic to Janet.